Return to top English Japanese
Wind speed 60.2 m/s
(Sep. 2004)

Unusually many typhoons attacked Japan in 2004. Hiroshima city was also hit on the 1st and 30th of August, as if the typhoons and the highest tides are synchronized. On 7th of September, the maximum instantaneous wind speed was recorded as 60.2 m/s, which was the highest in the history. A lot of trees were blown down, and some part of the city was flooded.

The photos on this page, which were mainly taken by my wife, Chie Muraki Asano, from our house on the 7th of September, show the Temma-gawa river at the hit of the typhoon. The river runs through the city from the north to the south, and our house is on the east bank. Since the current of the river curves from the east to the west in front of our house ([map by Mapion]), the south wind did not directly reach to our house and the photographing was rather safe.

Please refer "River in Hiroshima — ebb and flow, floating lantern ceremony on A-bomb memorial day" on this site.

[2005. 5] The bank in the photos was made higher and a promenade was constructed on it in the last winter. Please refer the "Spring has come" page.

* Click a photo to enlarge.


This photo was taken toword the river mouth, Shin-Kan'on-bashi bridge. The water was about to overflow both of the banks. Please compare with the photos at normal conditions (left: at the flood tide, right: at the ebb tide).

temma1h temma1l



The bank on the other side was protected from the overflow by sandbags. The soil region of the bank on the side of our house was covered with water, although it appears at normal conditions (below).

temma3h temma3l



Mifune-bashi bridge above our house. The wind must blow terribly over the bridge, however, a person standing on the bridge is found by clicking and enlarging the photo.

* The Quicktime movie is also provided. The wind on the surface of the river is visible.

temma3h temma3l



On the 1st of Aug. 2004, Hiroshima city was hit by a storm when the tide was the highest. The promenade was covered with water, as shown by the trace formed garbage. The bank of a half meter in height along the promenade is the final defending line from the flood.


In the evening on Aug. 30, 2004, Hiroshima city was hit again by a storm when the water level was the highest. Even the top of the fence along the promenade was submerged.



English Japanese